Wednesday 9 May 2012

Cougar Town: Down South

Note: Skipping recap this week. If this blog continues next fall, I'm thinking of eliminating the recap entirely, so this is a test run of sorts.


I Liked This: Travis has always had an attraction to Laurie, dating back to the early days of the show, when the title was relevant. But tonight's episode marked the first time that the two of them pairing up became a very real possibility (Even in Hawaii, I never thought Travis and Laurie would actually end up together), and this led to an interesting, emotionally charged episode as Travis prepared to finally make his move, and Jules and the gang debated over whether or not this should happen. While much of the episode was centred on Jules trying to prevent this from happening, Travis comforting Laurie after she's found out that her army boyfriend has re-enlisted was very sweet, and the ending (for now) of him taking the place of her boyfriends body, and ultimately putting her needs above his own (Something Wade isn't doing, even with his reasonable reason for re-enlisting) was funny, but also heartbreaking and it should be interesting to see where this will go as the season heads into the home stretch. And Jules and Ellie clashing with Bobby and Andy over whether they should let this happen and deciding to settle it over a game of Celebrity was great, leading to many funny moments and a sweet moment at the end as Jules comes to peace with the possibility of Travis and Laurie dating. The event of the hurricane also added to the episode, adding an interesting dynamic to the scenes (And a good runner involving Tom waiting outside Jules house the entire time.). And Grayson's small plot involving trying to come up with a new catchphrase for his bar was slight, but entertaining.


But...: Jules being able to pull off a Perfect Storm homage in an episode that hinges a big part of the plot on her unfamiliarity with pop culture seems a little inconsistent. But the scene was funny, so it's not that big a deal.


The Bottom Line: Down South is a great episode of Cougar Town that, while not as laugh-heavy as other episodes this season, nevertheless provides a good time as Travis/Laurie suddenly looks to be a very real possibility.


Grade: 85% (Great)


Memorable Moments


-Welcome to Cougar Town. I didn't know it was back on either- Abed.

-Laurie: "I thought we were really getting serious." Travis: "Of all the relationships of people that never met each other, I really believed in this one."

-Jules: "That's the way I raised him. Taters are for laters." Travis: "She actually did say that." Jules: "I did."

-Jules: "Travis got Laurie pregnant!" Andy and Bobby: "What?!" Jules: "Maybe I took a few steps ahead, but still, it would be so horrible if those two hooked up."

-Andy: "You can't stop love. Ellie's mom didn't want her to date me, but if I didn't go for it, this magical thing but if I didn't go for it, this magical thing never would've happened." Jules: "Awww." Ellie: "He's talking about him and Bobby!"

-Bobby on hugging Travis: "I feel like I'm cheating on Andy." Travis: "I'm your son so, it's fine."

-Ellie: "I'm only an OK storm! I'm not a perfect storm!"

-Jules: "What?" Grayson: "You just sent the two people you don't want to be together to hang out in a bedroom." Jules: "Who would have sex in their mom's bed? (All indicate they would do such a thing) Shoot."

-Grayson: "What is happening to me? I used to be on top of all the cool lingo. You know how people say 'hey, you wanna come with us?' I was the guy who dropped the 'us' part. Hey, you wanna come with?" Ellie: "I wonder what those d-bags did with all the time you saved them.

-Jules: "They're killing us with moustache clues!"

-Andy: "Why did you keep stopping to do those Michael Jackson poses in the wind?" Grayson: "How could you not?"

-Ellie: "Look, next time I give a clue, just give an answer. No matter what you say, I'm gonna say it's right. That handsome actor that you love." Jules: "George DiCaprio!" Ellie: "I'll make it work."

-Bobby: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. I thought E.T was a dude." Jules: "He's both." Ellie: "Watch the deleted scenes. It's very disturbing. He tries to have sex with himself."

-Jules: "You win. We cheated." Andy: "I knew David Barstool wasn't an actor. You were just looking at things around the room." Jules: "Yeah, although I think there is a Jim Lamply." Andy: "Nope."

-Travis: "I'm breathing a lot of my own breath around here. Starting to regret that tuna sandwich from earlier".

-Grayson: "Please get out of my bar. I just wanna go home and wrap up in my cozy blanket and drink that tea with the sleepy bear on the box. And I know you hate me now, but you'll thank me later, because if you don't stop drinking, tomorrow, you're going to wake up next to that person that you're talking to right now, and you'll wish you knew how to get them out of your house, but they'll make you take them to brunch. Good night. Don't drink and drive. You might kill your dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment