Thursday 8 September 2011

Futurama: Reincarnation

Futurama, like many great TV shows was cancelled much too soon (though it had a longer run than other shows cancelled too soon.). Unlike many TV shows though, it got resurrected, first as a series of DVD movies- which were split into parts to make new episodes- and then, actual new episodes. I've seen all four of the movies and most of the new episodes (except for a few from last season) and I enjoyed them. They may not rank with the best the show has done, but it's unfair to expect they'd all be as good. And on the plus side, none of the new episodes have been as sad as Jurassic Bark, which is on my list of things I'm allowed to cry at.

Of all the new episodes the show has done though, this is one of the best. At least, one of the funniest. To sum it up, this episode is an anthology episode, like the Anthology of Interests the show ran back in the day or their most recent holiday episode. It's three segments, each of them only related by the fact that a comet made of diamonds is involved in each story, Each segment is also done in a different animation style. Segment 1 (entitled Colorama, which is funny because the whole thing's in black and white) is animated and written like a Disney cartoon from the late 20's/early 30's, segment 2 (Future Challenge 3000) is done like an 8-bit video game, and segment 3 (Action Delivery Force) is done like a poorly dubbed Anime from the 80s (I think I heard somewhere that they were mainly making fun of Voltron. That seems likely.).

All three segments have minimal story, but plenty of jokes, and that's more important anyways. It's hard for me to pick a favorite but it's probably Action Delivery Force (the Anime one), because I'm a sucker for poorly translated dialogue. I was also a big one of the retro one, because old-school animation is awesome, especially when paired up with some (for lack of a better word) edgy jokes (One of my favorite moments in the episode came from Bender suggesting Fry win Leela over by getting her pregnant.). The 8-bit one was probably my least favorite, but it was still really good. It also had a joke about the song There's A Hole at the Bottom of the Sea, that was another one of my favorite moments. Also Stephen Hawking's was in it. Which was also great.

So all-in-all, this was a great way to close out the season of Futurama. Fun fact. This episode would've ended the series, if they hadn't got renewed by Comedy Central. I'm glad they renewed Futurama again, because this episode proves there's still a lot of life left in the show, but if this was the end it would've been a good one.

Rating: Haven't figured this part out yet. It'd be a good one though.

Memorable Moments, Yo!

-"A wise man once said: "Nothing really dies. I just comes back in a new form. Then he died". The episode opens with a monologue from classic character the Space God Entity, which is also funny, hence the above quote from that speech.
-"Have you tried to get her pregnant?" "Gosh yes, I've tried and tried!"
-The retro one also had a part where there was a realistic background, which I found funny.
-Oh! And a Warner Brothers esque sequence of Fry trying to get a Diamond from the indestructible Diamond comet through a variety of schemes, which was also gold.
-PROFESSOR: "Oh my! There's a frog on this bump on this log that I found in a hole at the bottom of the sea." LEELA: "And that's the ultimate secret of the universe?" PROFESSOR: "Apparently so. Wait! There's a snail on the tail of the frog on this bump on this log that I found in a hole at the bottom of the sea". Soo funny.
-"The list of things I've heard now includes everything."
-"I fear our only option is thrilling space battle."
-Also Zoidberg saves the day in the third one by doing a dance of peace so intricate, it's like he's not moving at all.

This concludes my first opinion. If I keep doing opinions once the 2011-2012 TV season is over, I'll talk about Futurama again. Hopefully this is a good first opinion. The opinions should get better as I figure out what I'm doing. As for future opinions, the fall TV season is about to get underway, so expect to see some more next week. Also the pilot of one of this falls new shows New Girl has been made available by Fox, so I should post an opinion on that before it's actual premiere date. I like it so far, so look forward to that. Until next time, Keep on rockin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment